Shocked to see me?!
Barbara "Barb" Thunderman (née McBooger) is one of the main characters of the Thundermans. She is a retired superhero from Metroburg formerly known by her superhero name, "Electress." She and Hank moved their family to Hiddenville in order to raise the kids and live a normal life. Barb is portrayed by Rosa Blasi.
Barb is the mother of the Thunder Twins (Phoebe and Max Thunderman) along with their younger siblings Billy, Nora and the youngest child Chloe Thunderman. She is the wife of Hank Thunderman, who is also a retired superhero.
Barb was born in Metroburg with superpowers but didn't know that she had her superpowers until the day she met Hank Thunderman. After Barb and Hank's first kiss, her Electrokinesis powers activated resulting in sparks fly and huge power surge as revealed in Parents Just Don't Thunderstand.
Barb went on to become the famous superhero, "Electress" and saved a lot of people. In order to bring up their kids like a normal family, Barb retired and moved to Hiddenville with her family. She quickly left behind her superhero life, unlike Hank. She doesn't talk much about the superhero stories as explored in the episode, Who's Your Mommy.
In Aunt Misbehavin', Barb had to finally deal with her sister, Mandy, with whom they had not talked for years. Max and Phoebe tracked down Aunt Mandy as a surprise birthday present for her mom, only to realize that they were enemies. She apologized to Mandy for bailing on their break dance duo gig "Electric McBooger Babes" back in high school.
In "Come What Mayhem", Barb and Hank receive a Platinum Cape Lifetime Achievement Award for their work as superheroes.
Barb's superhero name is "Electress" as mentioned in several episodes and explored deeply in Who's Your Mommy. This section shows all the known things about Barb's life as Electress.
Note: Electress is often misspelled as "Electriss" but as seen in Electress comics and merchandise from Who's Your Mommy, the correct spelling is "Electress."
Electress has a super-charged electric whip that she used to fight criminals with as shown in Who's Your Mommy when Max accidentally sells the whip to a fan of Electress along with other Electress merchandise. When the whip is in the wrong hands, it could explode.
Back in Metroburg, Electress used to run "Take It From Electress" safety commercials for using electricity as shown in Mall Time Crooks. All the commercials used to end with "Paid for by Superheroes for Safety." Examples:
- Take it from Electress - electrical charges are no laughing matter. Use your dome. Protect your home.
- Take it from Electress - if you "charge" into electrical situations, you may be "shocked" by what happens, and that's "watts" up.
- Take it from Electress - cramming too many plugs into a socket isn't cool so fight that urge and get a "surge" protector.
- Take it from Electress - before leaving home, make sure you turn off the lights because wasting electricity megahertz us all.
In Stealing Home, it is revealed that Barb used to star in a hit Electress medical drama in Metroburg called "Superstrong Medicine" in which she revived patients with her superpowers.  Barb finding out she is pregnant  1920 × 1080
No one tries to look for ways to fit in with the other families more than Barb. All she wants is for her family is to live an ordinary life as possible. While she has the ability to control both light and lightning when needed, she's perfectly okay with leaving her hectic superhero life behind her. Barb is also apparently a bit suggestible as she often adopts the methods of self-help books, usually ending in problems. She is also a bad cook, something her family is aware of. Barb is cranky and she gets extremely aggressive when she is pregnant.
She is a very committed mother. She loves and cares for each of her children deeply and is always around when needed.
- Hank is Barb's husband. They are both very passionate towards each other, and were partners in their days as superheroes. They also like to work together against their kids, as shown in many episodes. However, they have been competitive as well, for example in Up, Up, and Vacay and Kiss Me Nate.
- Phoebe is Barb's oldest daughter. They talked a lot in seasons 1 and 2, but not so much in seasons 3 and 4. They are both very passionate about each other's romances, and are both quite serious about whatever they do. However, Phoebe does think that Barb is quite lame. She also believes that Barb is very overprotective of her, as shown in Chutes and Splatters.
- Max is Barb's oldest son. They do not talk that much and are actually very different in terms of personality. Barb is very serious about whatever she does, while Max is very laid-back. Max does think that Barb is quite lame. Barb has also helped Max with his romantic life.
- Nora is Barb's middle daughter. They do interact quite a lot. However, Nora thinks that Barb is quite lame, and Nora is able to manipulate her quite a lot. Barb also thinks that Nora uses her powers way too much, as mentioned in quite a few episodes.
- However, when Nora decides to stop using her powers permanently in Patch Me If You Can, Barb encourages her to be more careful with them rather than stop using them permanently.
- Billy is Barb's youngest son. They have been shown to be hanging around each other quite a lot, but they do not have many interactions with each other. Billy thinks that Barb is lame. Barb also scolds Billy and Nora a lot for their laser related games, such as "laser tag" and "rock-paper-laser".
- Chloe is Barb's youngest daughter. Chloe actually thinks very highly of her, unlike the rest of the kids.
- Barb gives anything Chloe wants like drawing equipment due to her adorableness. Barb going into labor with Chloe
Powers and Abilities
- Electrokinesis: Barb's primary ability is the ability to shape, create, and manipulate electricity. She is easily capable of controlling the intensity, direction, and amount of electricity that she generates allowing her to achieve various effects. She is seen using this ability multiple times during the series in different forms giving her a plethora of abilities such as electrokinetic teleportation, electrotechnical projection, etc.
- Electrokinetic Teleportation: As seen in Who's Your Mommy, Barb is capable of moving from one place to another by just thinking about it. When using this ability, it appears as a lighting storm generates and disappears and moves her to another location where another lightning storm generates and disappears. This is similar to Chloe's full teleportation power, however, she teleports much more effortlessly and a little faster as well.
- Electrotechnic Projection: In the episode Have an Ice Birthday, Barb is capable of creating different sparks of electricity from her fingertips that appear as fireworks.
- Technokinesis: Barb is easily capable of manipulating technology and electronics by using electricity on them. However, this can fail as it did multiple times on the Thundervan when it malfunctions or it’s repairing.
- Photokinesis: As seen in multiple episodes, Barb is capable of generating, manipulating, and shaping light. Usually, she opens her palms and a light would appear from them. She can also change the size, intensity, etc. of the light with ease.
- Thundersense: Barb has the ability to sense danger before it occurs, just like the rest of her family. However, it is not always specific enough to tell what the danger is.
- Dancing: Barb has shown to be great at dancing. Although she is commonly not good at creating her own dances out of thin air, she was capable of Break Dancing easily on Aunt Misbehavin'.
- Whipmanship: Barb is easily capable of using her whip to subdue her enemies. With this, she is capable of controlling her whip with ease, allowing her to do anything she wants with it with willpower.
- Super-Speed: Barb has Super Speed after the orb switched her powers. Barb got her original powers back by Thundermans: Banished!.
- She and Hank caught tumble fever when they went undercover to catch someone at the circus.
- They call themselves The Tumblemans.
- Rosa Blasi was the first person to be cast on the show. Kira Kosarin admitted that she was originally scared of her when she first went to audition for the role of Phoebe, but when she got the role, the two started to really like each other after they got accustomed to each other.
- She is respected more than Hank by the Thunder Kids.
- When she reads Phoebe's blogs and Barb comments, her username is ProudMama978.
- She was raised in a barn.
- Her Thundersense was activated at the age of 17.
- Out of the entire family, Barb uses her powers the least.
- Barb and her sister Mandy were part of a struggling breakdance duo called the "Electric McBooger Babes".
- In Better Off Wed, Barb's last name was announced.
- Since she was born on August 6, Barb's zodiac sign would be a Leo
- She has a "fortress of barbitude", similar to Hank's "Thunder-Man Cave"
- She was born and raised on an Alpaca farm as mentioned in Nowhere to Slide.
- She gave birth to Chloe in A Hero Is Born.